Saturday, September 14, 2013

"Come Out And Play" - - Children Of El Maíz




I don't find kids creepy, just like I don't find clowns creepy. I know a lot of people find the idea of a little girl ghost creepier than a regular ghost, but I mean, it's a ghost it's going to beat you up anyways. Little girl hands just make the punches hurt less.

So the ghost twins from "The Shining" or the jump rope girls from "Nightmare On Elm Street" were always just kind of "eh" to me. It was the same when I saw "Children of the Corn." Did you know there are 7 sequels to "Children of the Corn?" 7. Why? Kids are not creepy!

Babies are, though. Babies creepy me out.

Not looking at babies, babies are cute and all. But if you think about what a baby is . . .(OK kids stop reading if you haven't heard this from your parents yet):

Step 1: A man and a woman have sex.

Step 2: The woman eats for 9 months.

Step 3: A HUMAN BEING crawls out of the woman!


"I used to be microscopic, and now I have a soul. Your dog doesn't even have one and he's been alive 10 years. Now I will pee in your face."



















A human! With a brain and eyeballs and little fingers! And from that point on that little baby brain is processing more information than the computer I am using to type this. Every thing a baby sees becomes information for it's little brain, and even when it sleeps it is still processing. I look up and I know that the Sun is a star that is close to the earth and provides light and heat. A baby just knows sometimes it's really effin hot and sometimes it's not. Do babies even have a concept of time? Argh Babies are creepy!

Kids are fine though. Once I can talk to you and you can talk back, I quit thinking you're some weirdo alien. But babies . . .

"Come Out And Play" is about two tourists who are on vacation somewhere. Most of the residents of the island speak Spanish so I'm assuming it's near or around Mexico, and the two main characters have no problem helping themselves to whatever they want in a deserted town so I'll assume they're from America. They run into a kid every now and then but the adults are nowhere to be found.

After a oddly long and dull half hour, the two tourists find out why the town is deserted: kids are killing all the adults. I'm kinda just shrugging my shoulders at this point in the film. But then they start to show more . . .

To go back to my original point: kids aren't creepy. But CREEPY kids are creepy. Samara from "The Ring" is creepy. But a kid who worships a corn god isn't. He stabs me to death, big deal.

The kids in "Come Out and Play" actually play with the bodies. One woman lays there, topless. Oh no, not just without a shirt on: from her waist to her neck her skin has been peeled back like a dissected frog. Her jaw was been removed as well leaving a gaping hole. And the children are just poking her exposed organs with their fingers giggling. One girl makes a necklace of ears for her friend, while other groups of kids simply take pleasure in inflicting as much pain as possible before they kill their prey.

It was at this point that I started to become more invested in the film because the children seemed more threatening as sociopaths rather than just psychopaths. But the film itself remained the same as "Children Of The Corn" did; two adults trying to escape a horde of killer kids.

I liked this movie for it's upsetting violence and it's interesting take on a zombie-like "infection" plague. Apparently this is a remake of an older film called "Who Can Kill A Child?" so I don't know if the violence/infection are things I should credit to the this movie or the original. If I cared more about child killer films I'd probably check out the original but really, if you watch both these trailers it seems to me you've seen most of the film anyways.



I've always wondered who these films are made for: Are they made for adults who hate kids or are scared of kids? Are they for single people to remind them why they're glad they don't have kids? Are they for kids who want a movie that lets them "get back" at adults? If you're a fan of these types of movies then I would check out "Come Out And Play." It's pretty tense and the kids are truly frightening once they get their groove on. As an "infected zombie" movie, it's decent and worth a look as well but nothing I'd run out and rent right away.

Now if only Hollywood would buy my Baby Vampire script . . .





1 comment:

  1. If you would like an alternative to casually picking up girls and trying to figure out the right thing to do...

    If you'd prefer to have women chase YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in noisy bars and night clubs...

    Then I urge you to view this eye-opening video to learn a amazing little secret that might get you your very own harem of beautiful women just 24 hours from now:

    FACEBOOK SEDUCTION SYSTEM!!!

    ReplyDelete